Safeguarding for Under 18s
BLC acknowledges its duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of all its Under 18 learners (children) regardless of nationality, race, religion, language, ethnicity, age or disability. BLC is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities and government guidance and complies with best practice and British Council regulatory requirements.
We recognise that all children are entitled to be protected and take the responsibility to follow all reasonable steps, to promote safe practice and to protect children from the potential risk of harm.
BLC acknowledges its duty to act appropriately to any allegations, reports or suspicions of abuse.
- Only employ persons suitable to work with children
- Ensure a high standard of professional behaviour exists between staff and children and that all employees are aware of their responsibilities in relation to safeguarding and child protection and know the procedures that should be followed if there is cause for concern
- Ensure all employees are provided with current training on how to protect children in and out of the school and know where to go to find additional information regarding safeguarding.
- Refer any child protection concerns to the Bristol Safeguarding Children Board
- Ensure that parents/carers/homestays/group leaders are provided with the schools current Safeguarding Policy and they receive relevant training and information from the school and who to report concerns to
- Ensure that homestay providers who care for children provide a valid Enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)
This policy is available in full on the BLC website and available on request.
A Named Person for Safeguarding and Prevent
BLC has an appointed individual who is responsible for dealing with any child protection concerns. The named person for Child Protection within BLC is Hayley Robinson (Director of Studies)
Work telephone number: 0117 929 2233
If the named person cannot be contacted, please refer your concerns on to the Bristol Safeguarding Children Board – 0117 903 6444.