IELTS Exam Preparation
What is IELTS (International English Language Testing System)?
IELTS is a popular English language exam which is recognised worldwide, and which measures the language proficiency of people who want to study or work in English speaking countries. It is recognised by universities in countries including the UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA.
IELTS is a multi-level exam which tests the key skills of speaking, listening, writing and reading. Exam candidates get a language proficiency score between 1.0 and 9.0 which represents their language level. You do not pass or fail IELTS – the exam is designed to assess language skills at all levels.
Students who apply to study Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees at UK universities are usually required to take an Academic IELTS exam as proof of English language level. Exam score requirements will vary according to the entry requirements set by the institution and programme of study applied for, but typically UK universities will ask for a score between 6.0 and 7.0.
In addition to higher education providers, IELTS is recognised by a range of government agencies, immigration authorities and professional bodies. It is also gaining increasing popularity amongst employers as a mark of English language proficiency.
Students who study for and pass this exam successfully:
- already have a solid level of English which enables them to understand the requirements of IELTS exam tasks and work with practice exam materials (this would typically be a minimum of intermediate – B1 level)
- are motivated to work hard on improving all skill areas (speaking, listening, reading and writing) in order to achieve their required score
- want the challenge of improving their English, broadening their range of vocabulary and developing skills competency in general
Why take an IELTS Exam course?
- To gain an international certificate to give you official proof of your English level. IELTS exams are run up to two times per month in local exam centres – this makes IELTS a good choice for students requiring flexibility with the length of exam course they are able to study.
- To enhance your CV and your future further study opportunities and job prospects with a qualification which is recognised internationally.
- To make significant improvements to your English by working in a structured way, towards a set goal, and in a fixed timeframe to ensure that you make fast progression and acquire a better language level.
What you will learn on the IELTS course
- You will learn tips, techniques and strategies to help you to complete exam tasks more confidently and successfully for each exam paper and its different parts.
- You will consolidate and expand your range of structures and topic vocabulary you will need to demonstrate in your comprehension and written and spoken production in the exam.
- You will study key topics and task types which are designed to reflect how you will use English in study, work and life situations in English speaking countries.
- You will thoroughly practise speaking, listening, reading and writing skills to improve your abilities in all areas of your English.
Course dates 2017
Start any Monday in term time.